The January 2022 transfer window is open (find out when it closes here), and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Arthur’s agent talks to Arsenal
Arsenal continue to push for a deal that will bring the Juventus midfielder arthur at the Emirates on loan, and Goal reports that his agent Federico Pastorello was seen at the Gunners’ London Colney training ground on Wednesday.
Mikel Arteta’s side are keen to bring the Brazil international to London for the rest of the season, but Juve are reluctant to give them the green light until they have found a replacement.
Arsenal technical director Edu has reportedly held face-to-face talks with Pastorello and he is eager to complete the deal as soon as possible.
Arteta wants to bolster his midfield options following Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ move to AS Roma, and he hopes Edu can push through the protracted negotiations.
Arthur, 25, is reportedly ready to join the Premier League, which he considers the best in the world.
The Brazilian has found his opportunities at Juve limited this season but the Italian giants still see him as a key part of Massimiliano Allegri’s squad. He started – and played – for Juve in their 4-1 win over Sampdoria in the Coppa Italia on Tuesday night.
– ESPN+ Viewers Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
– After rumors surfaced on Wednesday that Barcelona were keen to tie Gavi to fend off interest from Liverpool and Manchester City, it now looks like Chelsea are also keen, according to El Nacional. Chelsea have already surveyed the Blaugrana on duet Frankie de Jong and Sergino Dest, but are now said to be “very serious” about 17-year-old Gavi. The midfielder currently has a low release clause in his contract and would therefore cost around £42m, and the Blues would be able to offer him a huge raise on his current salary.
– Real Madrid have joined Liverpool in the signing race Kalvin Phillips, according to El Nacional. Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is said to be obsessed with the 26-year-old England international and sees him as the ideal replacement for Casemiro. Phillips has been in excellent form with Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United this season, which would have prompted Liverpool to prepare a £33.4m offer. Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are also linked with the midfielder.
– Barcelona’s Brazilian scout Jose Manuel Barla keeps tabs on 15-year-old Palmeiras forward Endrick, according to Sports. The youngster plays in the Copa Sao Paulo Juniores, the most important youth cup competition in Brazil, and this is the third game in a row in which the Blaugrana saw the starlet in action. Endrick has been compared to Romario and Ronaldo in Brazil, although he has yet to play 90 minutes for Palmeiras since recently recovering from COVID.
– Paul Pogba told Ralf Rangnick he wanted to see the end of his contract with Manchester United and the current season before joining Real Madrid for nothing this summer, according to Marca. Pogba’s existing deal is up at the end of the current season and the World Cup winner has reportedly told club representatives he sees his future away from Old Trafford. Rangnick’s deal also expires this summer, although the caretaker boss has said he believes Pogba still has plenty to offer United.
– Bayern Munich’s top decision-makers believe the Borussia Mönchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria is the perfect candidate to refresh his midfield options this summer, according to Florian Plettenberg. Zakaria is available on a free transfer at the end of the season and, with the Bayern midfielder compromised by injury and players considering their future, they believe a January move could help them steal a march from clubs rivals.